Antananarivo, Madagascar — October 17, 2025
Colonel Michael Randrianirina was sworn in as Madagascar’s
new president on Friday, just days after a dramatic military takeover that
forced ex-president Andry Rajoelina to flee the country and sparked widespread
international alarm.
Randrianirina, who led the CAPSAT army unit that
mutinied earlier in the week, took the presidential oath in a ceremony at the State
Palace in Antananarivo attended by military officers, politicians, youth
leaders, and foreign envoys from the United States, France, Russia, and the
European Union.
“Today marks a historic turning point for our
country,” Randrianirina declared.
“We will work hand in hand with all the driving forces of the nation to draft a
new constitution and establish the laws needed for credible elections and
referendums.”
The 51-year-old colonel, who had become the face of
the mutiny after appearing in uniform outside the presidential palace on
Tuesday, said the army intervened “to avoid anarchy and disorder” at the
request of the constitutional court.
He also praised the youth-led protest movement that
helped topple Rajoelina’s government, promising reforms that would ensure
national “renewal” and civilian leadership.
“Our government belongs to civilians,” Randrianirina
said. “We are committed to breaking with the past and reforming our
administrative, socio-economic, and political systems.”
Although Randrianirina denied that the military’s
actions constituted a coup, he pledged to organize elections within 18 to 24
months.
Ex-President Rajoelina in Hiding
The takeover followed weeks of anti-government
protests that began on September 25 over worsening power cuts and economic
hardship. Security forces were accused of a violent crackdown, with several
demonstrators killed or wounded.
The situation escalated when the CAPSAT unit — long
considered loyal to Rajoelina — refused orders to open fire on protesters on October
11 and declared it would no longer take directives from the government.
By Tuesday, the constitutional court impeached
Rajoelina for “desertion of duty,” and the army swiftly announced that it had
assumed control.
Rajoelina, 51, reportedly fled Madagascar over the
weekend, with his office later confirming he left the country “for safety
reasons.”
Media reports indicate he was airlifted by a French military plane to Réunion
Island, before continuing to Dubai.
This marks the third time a Malagasy president has
fled following political upheaval — after Didier Ratsiraka in 2002 and Marc
Ravalomanana in 2009.
Regional and International Reactions
The African Union (AU) and the Southern African
Development Community (SADC) have both announced plans to send fact-finding
missions to Madagascar to assess the situation and urge a return to
constitutional order.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot, speaking in
Nigeria on Thursday, emphasized the need for civilian participation in the
transition.
“The transition is now underway. We call for the full
involvement of civilians in the ongoing process,” Barrot said.
“The mobilisation of Madagascar’s youth must be fully heard to build a
sustainable, peaceful, and calm solution.”
Madagascar’s power shift adds to a growing list of military
takeovers across Africa since 2020 — including in Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger,
Gabon, and Guinea — all former French colonies grappling with political
instability and economic challenges.
Despite being rich in natural resources and
biodiversity, Madagascar remains one of the poorest countries in the world,
with about 80 percent of its 32 million citizens living in poverty, according
to the World Bank.
Would you like me to make a shorter version (about 300
words) for quick online posting or a broadcast script version formatted for TV
news reading?
Comments:
Leave a Reply