Biden
administration demanding price cuts from grocery chains
McDonald’s
CEO admitted the burger giant’s sales have taken a hit as jacked-up
menu prices have turned off core customers — and signaled the chain
plans to focus on “affordability” this year.
The
Chicago-based fast-food behemoth — which has lately taken heat over a Big Mac
combo meal priced at nearly $18 — said its global same-store sales in the
latest quarter had grown just 3.4%, falling short of the 4.7% growth Wall
Street had expected.
The
lackluster quarter — which the company also blamed on conflict in the Middle
East that has slammed franchisees overseas — sent McDonald’s shares on the New
York Stock Exchange tumbling nearly 4%, to $285.97, at Monday’s close.
“I
think what you’re going to see as you head into 2024 is probably more attention
to what I would describe as affordability,” McDonald’s chief executive Chris
Kempczinski said on a Monday earnings call with analysts.
In
particular, low income customers making less than $45,000 per year have largely
stopped ordering from McDonald’s. Pummeled by inflation, they’re eating at home
more frequently as grocery prices come down, Kempczinski admitted.
McDonald’s
president Chris Kempczinski said that the “battleground” will be for the “low
income consumer. REUTERS
“Eating
at home has become more affordable,” Kempczinski said. “The battleground is
certainly with that low-income consumer.”
Despite
the uproar, McDonald’s customers should brace for even more price hikes this
year — albeit at a slower pace of 2% to 3% versus last year’s 10%, restaurant
analyst Mark Kalinowski told The Post. McDonald’s attempts at “affordability”
will likely take the form of targeted deals offered on its mobile app, he
predicts.
“App
discounts will be a big part of their arsenal,” Kalinowski said.
Last
week, a McDonald’s outpost in Connecticut got slammed over its “outrageous
pricing” after a customer was
charged $7.29 for an Egg McMuffin — and nearly $5.69 for a side of
hash browns.
Over
the summer, a franchisee in nearby Darien, Conn., was called out for
charging $17.59 for Big Mac combo meal. That location also sold a Quarter
Pounder with Cheese and Bacon meal that came with fries and a soda for $19,
according to viral posts.
US
customers are ordering fewer or less expensive items from McDonald’s
restaurants.NurPhoto via Getty Images
McDonald’s
said it expects US growth to moderate to between 3% and 4% compared to its 4.3%
US growth in the most recent quarter. Most of that growth came from “increased
menu prices,” the company said.
Meanwhile,
all the company’s business regions worldwide registered positive growth with
the exception of the Middle-East, where McDonald’s franchisees have seen a
“meaningful business impact,” Kempczinski said in January via a LinkedIn
post.
The
burger boss also has blamed
“misinformation” about McDonald’s position on the Israel-Hamas war, echoing
other companies including Starbucks who have said that boycotts of their stores
were due to a false narrative that they had taken a position on the war.
In
the days following the Oct. 7 Hamas attack, the “local owner operator”
distinction was lost on a mob of protesters in Lebanon who ransacked a local
McDonald’s restaurant after McDonald’s Israel franchises said they would offer
free meals to Israeli soldiers taking
part in military operations in Gaza.
McDonald’s
says “misinformation” about its position on the Middle-East war has contributed
to a negative sentiment about the brand.NurPhoto via Getty Images
The
Israeli and Hamas war has dented McDonald’s international sales as customers
boycott the restaurant.Anadolu via Getty Images
About
10% of McDonald’s 18,000 restaurants overseas are located in the Middle East,
accounting for 12% of international sales, according to a Wall Street Journal
report.
“We
do not expect to see meaningful improvement until there is a resolution in the
Middle East,” the company’s chief financial officer, Ian Borden, said on the
analyst call.
Experts
have also warned that fast
food prices could climb even higher as minimum wage hikes are
implemented across the country. California’s $20-an-hour minimum wage for fast
food workers goes into effect in April.
McDonald’s
and Chipotle both announced that they would be hiking the prices of
menu items at Golden State locations beginning this year.
Comments:
Leave a Reply