Monday, August 17th 2026

Miss Universe Nigeria Chidimma Adetshina Faces Deportation Battle in South Africa Over Immigration Status


Miss Universe Nigeria Chidimma Adetshina Faces Deportation Battle in South Africa Over Immigration Status
24 views
    Share :

Former Miss South Africa finalist and reigning Miss Universe Nigeria, Chidimma Adetshina, is facing possible deportation from South Africa after authorities alleged that she is residing in the country without valid legal status.

The 25-year-old beauty queen, whose participation in the 2024 Miss South Africa pageant sparked widespread debate over her citizenship, appeared before the Cape Town Regional Court on June 9 following her arrest in the Summer Greens area. She was released on a warning and is expected to return to court on July 16 as immigration proceedings continue.

According to court documents filed by immigration officer Adrian Jackson, the Department of Home Affairs launched an investigation after locating Adetshina and her minor son in South Africa. The department claims both were found to be living in the country without lawful residency.

Jackson stated that immigration officials verified Adetshina's records through the department's electronic database and conducted an interview to determine her immigration status. He alleged that the checks confirmed she does not possess any valid South African residence permit and is therefore considered an illegal foreign national under the country's immigration laws.

The department has asked the court to authorise her detention for the purpose of deportation, arguing that doing so would enable officials to carry out their legal responsibility of removing undocumented foreign nationals from South Africa.

The case follows an earlier decision by South Africa's Minister of Home Affairs, Dr. Leon Schreiber, who in March dismissed Adetshina's request to review the department's refusal to grant her and her son a letter of good cause.

In his written decision, Schreiber said Adetshina had been informed in September 2024 that the department intended to cancel both her South African identity documents and those of her child, but alleged that she did not respond to the notice.

The minister further claimed that Adetshina obtained a Nigerian passport while in Nigeria before applying for a South African visitor's visa. According to him, the visa application was rejected after officials allegedly discovered that it was supported by a fraudulent bank statement. He added that no appeal was lodged against the decision.

Schreiber also stated that Adetshina was officially declared a prohibited person on December 19, 2024, making her ineligible for any visa or permit to remain in South Africa under the Immigration Act.

He further alleged that she later re-entered South Africa through the Lebombo border post from Mozambique while presenting herself as a South African citizen before subsequently applying for a letter of good cause, an application that was also rejected.

The minister said the immigration application submitted on behalf of Adetshina's minor son was equally declined because it was dependent on her own application. According to him, since the primary applicant was found to have no legal basis to remain in the country, the child also has no independent legal right to stay.

Following her initial court appearance, the Cape Town Regional Court granted Adetshina release on warning pending the continuation of the case.

As part of her bail conditions, she must remain at the address where she was arrested and notify the investigating immigration officer of any changes to her residence, employment or travel while the matter remains before the court.

 

Comments:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *