Cristiano Ronaldo has suggested that he could retire
from professional football at the end of the current year, saying he wants to
leave behind a “spectacular legacy.”
The 41-year-old Portugal captain made the revelation
in an interview with Vogue published on Sunday, despite having a contract with
Saudi Pro League club Al-Nassr that runs until June 2027.
Ronaldo has previously admitted that retirement is
getting closer but had avoided giving a specific date for the end of his
playing career.
However, speaking to Vogue, the five-time Ballon d’Or
winner said: “This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a
spectacular legacy.”
Ronaldo had said last November that he expected to
continue playing for another one or two years and confirmed that the 2026 World
Cup would be his final appearance at the tournament.
Following Portugal’s elimination by Spain last month,
the forward declined to reveal when exactly he planned to retire. His latest
comments, however, suggest that his illustrious playing career could be nearing
its conclusion.
Ronaldo also said he had begun preparing for life
after football and was looking forward to spending more time with his family
and pursuing other interests.
“I have my future all mapped out,” he said, adding
that he plans to travel more, watch and play padel, and enjoy the fruits of a
career that has involved more than two decades of sacrifice.
Ronaldo began his senior career with Sporting in 2002
before establishing himself as one of football’s greatest players during spells
with Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus.
After a second stint at Manchester United, he moved to
Saudi Arabia, where he joined Al-Nassr and became one of the leading figures in
the country’s rapidly growing football scene.
Comments:
Leave a Reply