Tuesday, August 18th 2026

Chelsea Fined £10m, Handed Suspended Two-Window Transfer Ban Over Historical Rule Breaches


Chelsea Fined £10m, Handed Suspended Two-Window Transfer Ban Over Historical Rule Breaches
9 views
    Share :

Chelsea have been fined £10 million and handed a suspended two-window transfer ban by the Football Association (FA) after admitting to multiple breaches of transfer regulations during Roman Abramovich's ownership of the club.

The FA announced the sanctions on Friday after Chelsea admitted to 74 breaches of its rules relating to football agents, intermediaries, and third-party ownership of players.

Although the club was initially given a suspended six-point league deduction by an independent Regulatory Commission, Chelsea successfully appealed the punishment. The Appeal Board replaced the points deduction with a suspended transfer ban covering two consecutive transfer windows.

The suspended registration ban will remain in effect until June 30, 2027, meaning Chelsea will only serve the punishment if further breaches occur before that date.

The charges, brought by the FA in September 2025, relate to conduct spanning 2009 to 2022, including transfers involving players such as Willian, Eden Hazard, and Samuel Eto'o.

The FA noted that Chelsea's current ownership voluntarily reported the historical misconduct after acquiring the club in 2022.

In a statement, the FA said the club admitted all 74 breaches before the disciplinary hearing.

The governing body added that while the £10 million fine remains in place, the money will be invested in grassroots football across England.

The FA also confirmed that investigations into the conduct of individuals connected to the case are still ongoing.

Reacting to the decision, Chelsea welcomed the conclusion of the disciplinary process, stating that the club had cooperated fully with all regulatory authorities since voluntarily reporting the historical issues.

The club said it had proactively provided thousands of documents to investigators and had already reached settlement agreements with both UEFA and the Premier League over the same self-reported regulatory matters.

Chelsea added that the conclusion of the FA proceedings brings all outstanding regulatory cases relating to the historical breaches to an end.

The West London club thanked the FA, UEFA, and the Premier League for their cooperation throughout the investigation, saying it was pleased to have finally resolved all outstanding matters stemming from the previous ownership era.

 

Comments:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *