Monday, August 17th 2026

Kogi Police Confirm Killing of Catholic Priest, Launch Investigation


Kogi Police Confirm Killing of Catholic Priest, Launch Investigation
11 views
    Share :

The Kogi State Police Command has confirmed the killing of Catholic priest Rev. Fr. Samuel Opeyemi, whose body was discovered along a roadside in Ajaokuta, sparking grief within the Catholic community and among residents of the area.

The priest's body was found on Thursday, July 30, 2026. Reports indicate that he was attacked with machetes and sustained multiple injuries.

A source within the Catholic Church in Ajaokuta said the cleric suffered several machete wounds, adding that the motive for the attack and the identities of those responsible remain unknown.

His death has thrown members of the Catholic faithful and the local community into mourning.

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson of the Kogi State Police Command, ASP Saliu Oyiza Afusat, said officers received a report at about 9:30 p.m. on Thursday that the body of an unidentified man had been found along Church Road in Ajaokuta.

Police operatives immediately responded to the scene and observed that the victim had sustained severe machete wounds to the head.

According to the police, the body was evacuated to ASCL Hospital, where a medical doctor confirmed him dead before it was deposited in the mortuary for an autopsy.

The deceased was later identified as Rev. Fr. Samuel Opeyemi of St. Paul Parish, Ayetoro Gbede, in Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State.

The police said investigations are ongoing to determine the circumstances surrounding the killing and to identify and arrest those responsible.

The command assured the public that further updates would be provided as the investigation progresses.

 

Comments:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *