Kogi Community Secures Release of 17 More ECWA Church Abductees


Kogi Community Secures Release of 17 More ECWA Church Abductees
69 views
    Share :

The Aiyetoro Kiri Bunu Development Association, in collaboration with families of victims, has secured the release of 17 additional parishioners abducted from the Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA) in Aiyetoro Kiri, Kabba/Bunu Local Government Area of Kogi State.

The latest release followed weeks of intense negotiations and significant financial commitments by the community.

This was disclosed in a statement issued on Wednesday, January 14, 2026, by Aledare Jide Sunday, MASN, National Publicity Secretary of the Aiyetoro Kiri Bunu Development Association, on behalf of its National Executive Committee.

According to the statement, 14 abductees were released on Tuesday, January 13, 2026, while three others regained their freedom on Monday, January 12, 2026.

“You will recall that on Sunday, December 14, over 30 parishioners were abducted from ECWA Aiyetoro Kiri Bunu. Since then, concerted efforts have been made to secure their release,” the association said.

Gunmen had reportedly stormed the First ECWA Church in Aiyetoro Kiri during a worship service on December 14, 2025, abducting dozens of worshippers, including children and elderly members, and killing at least one person, a seminary graduate.

The attack was the third major assault on the community in 2025, underscoring the persistent insecurity in the Bunu District.

On January 1, 2026, seven victims were released — four alive and three dead — after prolonged negotiations and the payment of ?15 million.

“With these latest releases, a total of 24 people have so far been freed,” the statement confirmed.

While expressing gratitude for the progress made, the association lamented the heavy financial burden placed on the community.

“This was not without painfully parting with huge resources,” the group noted, highlighting the strain of raising ransom funds amid what it described as limited government intervention.

Although the releases have brought relief to many families after weeks of anguish, several victims are still being held captive. The association said it remains committed to continuing efforts to secure the freedom of all those abducted.


Comments:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *