Brazilian superstar Neymar has been recalled to the
country’s World Cup squad, returning to the national team after almost three
years away.
The 34-year-old, Brazil’s all-time leading scorer,
makes the comeback after a long spell on the sidelines due to injuries that
kept him out of much of the qualifying campaign. Brazil, five-time World Cup
champions, are now chasing a record-extending sixth title.
Manager Carlo Ancelotti, who has led the Brazil men’s
team since last year, previously had not called up Neymar. He said Neymar’s
selection would be based on fitness and form rather than sentiment.
Addressing journalists in Rio de Janeiro on Monday
night, Ancelotti said the coaching staff assessed Neymar throughout the year
and noted that he has recently been playing more consistently and has improved
his physical condition.
Ancelotti added that Neymar will have the same
responsibilities as the rest of the squad, while also acknowledging that
experience is prioritised in some positions.
Neymar has 79 international goals but has not played
for Brazil since 2023. His return follows questions about his fitness and form,
after an injury-marred period at Al-Hilal and a challenging return to his
boyhood club Santos last year.
Comments:
Leave a Reply